“There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” ― Leonard Cohen
I am a qualified, pre-accredited therapist working in North Dublin. Originally from England, I have lived in Dublin since 2006, raising my family here. I started my training in South Dublin in 2012, and my passion has taken me to research and develop a deep interest and understanding of Attachments. I believe having this understanding enhances my work with depression, anxiety, bereavement and grief, trauma and parent-adolescent work, in addition to the therapist-client relationship.
As part of my work, I believe it is important to continue to learn from my clients, and research, in order to shape and develop the counselling profession. For this reason, I involve myself in research and previously co-facilitated a group for psychotherapists to share ideas. I also enjoy working in a lecturing role, supporting and encouraging students in their own counselling careers. This has seen me support lecturers and students in modules on ‘Microskills of Counselling’, ‘Bereavement, Loss and Grief’, ‘Counselling Certificate Programme’ and 'Ethics and Values', as well as lecture in 'Professional Skills'.
It is also important for me to use my skills in other areas of my life. As such I became employed with Empowerment Plus in October 2016. This charity organisation work within the community to "empower young people, families and communities at risk live just and fulfilling lives". As a support worker my role is often varied and it is exciting to work with new people on a regular basis.
Previously, I have helped to raise awareness of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis for Arthritis Ireland, and also featured in a book of which the proceeds were donated to the Marie Keating Foundation. Outside of work I enjoy baking, cooking and of course, the best part of that is the eating!
My qualifications include:
- Primary Degree: Master of Arts Degree in Pluralistic Counselling and Psychotherapy - 2017
- Emotion Focused Skills Training for Parents - 2018
- Proactive Approach to Solution Focused work with Adolescents - 2017
- Level One Attachment Based Family Therapy Workshop – 2016
- Certificate in Child and Adolescent Counselling – 2015
- Certificate in Mindfulness – 2015
- B.A (Hons) Degree in Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy – 2015
- Applied Suicide Interventions Skills Training 2009 & 2014
- Certificate in Facilitation Skills - 2013
- Certificate in Module Assistance (including Microskills, Bereavement, Loss and Grief, Certificate Programme) – 2014-2016
- Presented a case study as part of a panel - SEPI 2018 Conference – 2018
- Presented my research study poster "Are we missing the family context?" - SEPI 2018 Conference – 2018